Anyone who owned a Sega MegaDrive/Genesis and feels like a trip down memory lane could do a lot worse than pick up a copy of Sega Classics Collection for the PS2. The package consists of no less than 9 old Sega games, most of which will be instantly recognisable by the majority of gamers.
For many people the highlight will undoubtedly be OutRun, the racer which when it first appeared in the arcades in 1986 ushered in a new generation of driving games. Also present is Virtua Racer, one of the early games to start using 3D polygons to show the game world rather than 2D bitmapped images, and Monaco GP, a top down viewed racing game.
If beat ‘em ups are more your thing then Golden Axe is for you. This was a great fantasy hack and slash game which I know swallowed a fair bit of my pocket change. You can play as Warrior, Dwarf or Maiden (bit soft sounding considering she’s got a massive sword!) and can ride on weird creatures and use magic potions to aid you on your quest.
Space Harrier will surely need no introduction either, although without the crazy tilting seat of the original arcade version it’s never going to quite feel the same. Still a great game, which was graphically astounding in it’s day. Alien Syndrome was a multiplayer Gauntlet style game, though as the name suggests it was set in an alien infested space ship. I liked Alien Syndrome at the time, but I could never figure out how you were supposed to kill the first end of level boss…
The puzzle game Columns, odd looking shooter Fantasy Zone and the bizarre Tant R & Bonanza Bros, a collection of mini-games complete the set, which is available now.
2 Comments on “Sega Classics Collection”
Shwaza Says:February 5th, 2006 at 1:00 pm
Haha the driving one reminds me of an old DOS game I used to play
Jonotron Says:March 17th, 2010 at 2:23 pm
I love classic gaming like this. Might be time to dust off my ps2. Man…. I feel old. I remember when the blocky polygons in virtua racer looked so realistic.
Post a Comment
- Closed beta test for World of Warcraft: Cataclysm
- Six Flags delivers Mascot Park for Facebook
- Zynga launches FarmVille for iPhone and iPod touch
- Wipeout: The Game arrives on Nintendo platforms
- Marvelous Entertainment releases Followars for the Apple iPad
- Puzzle Quest 2 hits the Nintendo DS, Xbox LIVE Arcade
- Transformers: War for Cybertron is now here
- Game specially designed to help families prepare for emergencies
- Creative Kingdoms announces MagiQuest Online: The Portal Adventure Series
- Big Collision Games offers closed beta testing for Online Soccer Champions
Signup because it's Sunday